- "You possess the gift of the Healing Touch... yet you refuse to use it effectively. Are you content with just saving people's lives? Have you ever considered what lies beyond that? I have. I'm about to change the world! Reformation is impossible without firm belief!" -Patrick Mercer
- "I don't care what vision you have for the future! I'm determined to keep saving lives!" -Derek Stiles
The first person infected with Nous was Emilio Juarez, who was infected during a liver transplant.
Unlike other Neo-GUILT, Nous is not explained as being a performance enhancing organism; however, based on the belief system of Patrick Mercer, it is likely that Nous did have a beneficial effect at some point. Judging from its name and the title of mission X-4, it is possible that it is some sort of learning agent. This would also explain why Nous' original host (the donor of Emilio's liver) became brain dead.
Nous lacks a traditional Pre-GUILT stage: the operation on Emilio has you transplant the liver before confronting Nous.
In X4, Nous skips the transplant and goes directly to treating Nous.
A number of Nous-tumors will appear in the organ, followed by Nous. The Nous-tumors must be drained and excised in the order they appeared. If the Nous-tumors are treated out of order, all of those that appeared before the one you treated will explode, dealing around 30-35 damage to the vitals.
From the moment that the player can do anything to Nous or Nous-tumors, an unseen timer starts. If this timer reaches zero, a "miss" is declared by the game, Nous retreats into the organ without taking damage and any remaining Nous-tumors instantly explode. If the player attempts to treat Nous prior to the removal of the Nous-tumors, all Nous-tumors explode, often causing enough vital damage to kill the patient.
If the player succeeds in draining all of the Nous-tumors, they may then attempt to drain and excise Nous directly. Success in doing this before the timer expires counts as a "hit", 5-6 of which are enough to defeat Nous and succeed in the operation.
|Aletheia Nous||Any appearing Aletheia Nous will dive into the heart after some time, and release a single Nous-tumor that must be excised.|
|Tumor Creation||Nous will appear, along with a varying number of Nous-tumors. These Nous-tumors must be treated in the order they appear, with Nous last; otherwise, the untreated Nous-tumors will burst.|
|Dive||Nous will dive into the organ, causing a "miss" and rupturing any Nous-tumors.|
|Episode||Patient||Organ||Type of Nous||Other GUILT Present|
|2-6: Rebirth||Emilio Juarez||Liver||Nous||None|
|7-7: Mother of Sins||Reina Mayuzumi||Heart||Aletheia Nous||Aletheia|
|X-4: Nous||Unnamed man||Liver||Nous||None|
|X-7: Aletheia||Unnamed woman||Heart||Aletheia Nous||Aletheia|
- Even though it is very important to to try to remove the Nous-tumors in order, if Nous is about to use Dive, go immediately to it as the Nous-tumors will burst if it dives anyways, and the Nous-tumors bursting does not cause a miss; however, allowing a Nous-tumor to burst breaks the chain and may cause you to earn a lower rank.
- Nous-tumors that have been cut out but not removed with the forceps will not burst if you proceed to treat other Nous-tumors. You can use this to your advantage to save bits of time that would otherwise be spent on switching tools.
- In 2-6, when convulsions occur after Emilio's liver transplant, if his vitals are 51 or more, they will drop to 50. Keep this in mind to avoid wasting time raising during the transplant so that more time is left for Nous.
- In the time that Nous is retreating and is creating spore tumors, you have a oppurtunity to raise vitals. They won't be a problem unless you let tumors burst.
|v • d • e||Trauma Center series|
|Games||Under the Knife • Second Opinion • New Blood • Under the Knife 2 • Trauma Team|
|Characters||Derek Stiles • Angie Thompson • Naomi Kimishima • Markus Vaughn • Valerie Blaylock • Elena Salazar • CR-S01 • Maria Torres • Hank Freebird • Tomoe Tachibana • Gabriel Cunningham|
|Fields||Surgery • First Response • Orthopedics • Endoscopy • Diagnosis • Forensics|
|Organizations||Caduceus International • Delphi • Eidoth Pharmaceuticals • Humani • Parnassus • Acropolis Pharmaceutical • Hands of Asclepius • Resurgam First Care • Cumberland Institute of Forensic Medicine|
|GUILT||Kyriaki • Deftera • Triti • Tetarti • Pempti • Paraskevi • Savato • Bliss • PGS|
|Stigma||Cheir • Soma • Ops • Onyx • Brachion • Cardia|
|Neo-GUILT||Nous • Bythos • Sige • Aletheia|